Forums, sub forums, chaos? - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 6spdcoupe

Default Forums, sub forums, chaos?

What/where would YOU guys like to see? Lets get off to a good start and try to keep everyone happy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #2

I think going with fewer forums (like DIYMA does) is preferable to many forums (like, say, AVS). Honestly, I think we could almost go with forum categories that are nearly identical to those on DIYMA. If that is agreeable, I propose something like this:

Audio Discussion
>DIYHA General
>DIYHA Technical and Tutorials (a Knowledge Base of sorts)
>DIYHA Other Audio
>Install Gallery
>Product Reviews and Measurements

Miscellaneous
>Home Video
>For Sale
>Hot Deals
>Off Topic

Staff
>The Ninja Den

It might also be worth considering a section in the Audio Discussion for those who prefer more commercial systems. Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #3

First, what is the goal here. What is this site going to offer that DIYAudio, AVS, etc don't already have.

I understand the DIY nature as opposed to spending your money on commercial equipment is what you're going for, but that lends itself to highly technical content. Is that the crowd you're looking to attract, or are you looking to be more noob friendly?

Just asking as I think clear goals from the start will really help.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #4

Well.

I like Neil's idea. I'm pretty torn on whether I want to keep it like that or add just a few subforums...

DIYHA General
-> Speakers
-> Electronics (?) (Amps, Receviers, Pre-amps, etc, etc??)

In general I agree with Neil on the keep it simple and less cluttered though.

nG
Old 07-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #5

Simplicity is key here, a cluttered forum is typically a lonely one. Straight to the point and no garbage to waste space. This will also help to maintain a more mature crowd.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #6

Exactly.

I wouldn't want a subforum for each individual item. Just something to separate the speakers, enclosures, etc... from the electronics/source devices. Within the general forum? Or maybe not...

nG
Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #7

I hid the staff forums; everyone will have to log-in to see the topic.

The question was asked (dunno if MVM is going to be on staff here or not...I'm sure he'll be a good addition if he is) what this site will offer that DIYAudio and AVS won't. In my opinion, there won't be anything. Ant and I had talked briefly about including driver testing here on the site (like we will be on DIYMA) and that is a definite traffic driver.

As far as categories, I don't really care what is what. I gave a rough outline...if someone wants to make a change, do so. The reason I suggested the smaller categories (not broken down) is because too many topics make the forum look empty and inactive. Either way, it's not a big deal to me.

Don said in his pm on DIYMA that he would be doing some things tonight, so I'll leave that up to him.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #8

I can lay out the structures as you listed above (hopefully tonight) and then we can add/delete from there. Its not that difficult to do, so it can at least set a platform and we can get some opinions on it and move forward. However it would be great to get feedback from the users that will visit to make it how THEY want it. This way ... no bitchin and everyone is happy.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:04 AM   #9

Set it up as Neils listing, what looks good and what looks bad?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #10

Solid. Now let's get some traffic AND opinions

nG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in