Digital Coaxial or Stereo RCA - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #1

Default Digital Coaxial or Stereo RCA

Which is better for the audio connection from my CD/DVD player?...or is there a difference. My system is geared towards accurate audio reproduction. The way I see it is that my DVD/TV just also happen to be hooked up to it.

I've read similar threads on other audio forums and the consensus seemed to be that one wouldn't be able to tell the difference so it wasn't worth spending the extra money for the digital coaxial.

I was just on MCM Electronics site, though, and a 6ft digital coaxial is just under $10 and the stereo RCA's from the same product line are nearly $30 so that argument seems to be mute.

Any input appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 02:11 AM   #2

Default Re: Digital Coaxial or Stereo RCA

It depends on what the CD/DVD player is. Your receiver/processor might be better at decoding the audio than the CD/DVD player. If that is the case than Digital is the way to go. Usually with budget DVD players the analog audio circuits are weak and cheap and the quality reflects this.

Most serious audio folk will run digital coax (not optical) for their DVD players (since most have a weak audio output) and analog with their CD Players. Since most dedicated CD players are going to have a higher quality analog output analog is the connection to use.

But, really this all depends on the equipment you have.

So, what equipment do you have? Your entire system from AC Socket to Tweeter.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #3

OK, but let me preface by saying that monetary, space, and WAF constraints require my equipment to be multifunctional. Also, my listening room is quite small (about 1100 cubes), but it opens to a much larger space.

Receiver/Amplifier: NAD T754
CD/DVD: NAD T534
Speakers: Tannoy MX3's (bi-wired)
Speaker wire: AudioQuest Type 4 (got a good deal on some bulk cable and I terminated it myself)

In process:

Sub: I am currently designing/building a sub. It is a CSS SDX10" downfiring and an Acoustic Elegance 15" passive.
Sub amp: This will be powered by a Rechorn A402.

I know, I know...I don't really classify as a true DIY yet, but someday I do plan to design and build my own speakers.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #4

Nothing wrong with that. I have my first decent stereo system in a one room apartment.

NAD stuff is pretty good quality. I've auditioned it a couple of time, but went other routes for synergy reasons.

Ok so, being a two channel purist I always run analog for my CD listening and digital coax for movies. But, the kicker is if you use the subwoofer for CD listening. If you don't use the subwoofer for 2 channel get a set of decent Analog Interconnects for CD listening and a Digital Coax cables for the movies. If you do use the Subwoofer for stereo listening, with your setup you might just be best to stream PCM from the DVD player into the receiver and have the receiver process everything (DVD&CD).

Here is my reasons for suggesting this solution. You want CD to be the most direct path you can with out any processing. So, running analog out into the receiver which will be used strictly as a preamp is the shortest distance into the system. (CD (Digital) to D->A (Analog) to Receiver (Analog) to Speakers (Analog)) The signal only gets converted and adjusted from one state to another once. If you used analog out to the receiver in the case where you use the subwoofer during 2 channel operation the receiver has to crossover the signal (a lot do this digitally) and you have a flow that looks like this; D->A & A->D then back to D->A. So, if you want to run the subwoofer with CD listening on your current system configuration I would run Digital Coax so you only have 1 D->A step.

A different system and I might suggest something different. I hope all of that makes sense and helps out. If it doesn't ask me and I'll clarify.

Pictures always help.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #5

I made another one just for S&G...

Old 11-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #6

Thanks Joe. That makes perfect sense and it saves me $40 or so.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #7

Your more than welcome.

I enjoyed making the graphs...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in